hall-effect sensor for variable hi hat control

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: hall-effect sensor for variable hi hat control

Postby dm9876 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Hi Martin,

That one will _not_ do the trick because its a hall "switch" the one I have used is a hall sensor the switch has on / off (digtal) action with some hysteresis however a hall "sensor" outputs an analog signal.

As for the magnet, I think that one is around the same size as mine but I think I have gone over the top. In my test I used a much smaller magnet which worked fine but since it was not a ring it came out of alignment if the top hat rotated around a bit. So the size for me was mostly dictated by the mechanics. However the size will also determine how far away the sensor will be able to pickup the field.

There is some more information in my links above and also in the link that Warwick (wazza187) posted.

Dean

Rockdude wrote:

That looks very cool!
That approach must be the most sturdy construction I've seen so far. I've got some questions for you since I want to try it as well

Will this Hall sensor work?:
http://www.electrokit.se/givare-o-se...latch_41003760

Data sheet for the Hall sensor:
http://www.electrokit.se/download/ATS177.pdf

How strong must the magnet be to work?
I've found one ring magnet with the dimensions 30x10x5mm Type N45 and strength 8,40kg.

Cheers
Martin
dm9876

Postby rockdude » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:04 am

Thanks for the information.
I'll search some more for a different hall effect sensor and give this approach a try. Soon I've built a potentiometer hihat controller, an optical hihat controller and a hall effect sensor hihat controller :) Should be interesting to see which one I prefer :P

I'm a little concerned if the magnet I've found is too strong. The one I think you used has a strength of 300g and the one I found has a strength of 8400g. Maybe that doesn't matter.
rockdude

Postby dm9876 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Rockdude, the magnet i have used is way stronger than 300g it really is probably close to yours. The only issue I can think of with too strong would be if it interferes with the operation of the highhat stand itself. There are different sensitivities of hall sensor too. I have used one that is 1.3mV/Gauss
dm9876

Postby rockdude » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi Rockdude, the magnet i have used is way stronger than 300g it really is probably close to yours. The only issue I can think of with too strong would be if it interferes with the operation of the highhat stand itself. There are different sensitivities of hall sensor too. I have used one that is 1.3mV/Gauss

Thanks, then there should be no problems with the magnet I have in mind. I'm also ordering a hall sensor with the same sensitivity as yours.
rockdude

Postby kimouette » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:47 pm

couple of days ago I posted a question on Vdrums, but I still didnt get any anwer... Maybe someone here can help?
I bought the exact same magnet* and hall effect sensor*, I also have a Megadrum, and I installed everything almost the same way Wazza did**, but still, the response I get is not as accurate as we can see in his video!

When I manually put the magnets closer to the sensor, I do get a clear signal. But when the magnets are fixed to my hihat's rod (nomatter how close they get to the sensor!) i dont get any satisfying results (a range of 23 nomatter how low or high i set the low/high levels).

I dont understand... why is it working when I move the magnets manually and not when they are stuck on the hihat's rod?
*Hall-Effect Sensor A1302EUA-T (£1.30 - from http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/sensors.html)
*Magnet (Ring N45, OD. 12mm/ ID 9 mm) (€0.32, but min order of 10 at http://www.supermagnete.nl/eng/R-12-09-1.5-N)
**See his post here : http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54170

And by the way I bought many of these magnets, so I have tried adding couple of them or just one, the results are the same.
Any clue on what's happening?
kimouette

Postby r0bbie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:56 pm

kimouette wrote:couple of days ago I posted a question on Vdrums, but I still didnt get any anwer... Maybe someone here can help?
I bought the exact same magnet* and hall effect sensor*, I also have a Megadrum, and I installed everything almost the same way Wazza did**, but still, the response I get is not as accurate as we can see in his video!

When I manually put the magnets closer to the sensor, I do get a clear signal. But when the magnets are fixed to my hihat's rod (nomatter how close they get to the sensor!) i dont get any satisfying results (a range of 23 nomatter how low or high i set the low/high levels).

I dont understand... why is it working when I move the magnets manually and not when they are stuck on the hihat's rod?
*Hall-Effect Sensor A1302EUA-T (£1.30 - from http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/sensors.html)
*Magnet (Ring N45, OD. 12mm/ ID 9 mm) (€0.32, but min order of 10 at http://www.supermagnete.nl/eng/R-12-09-1.5-N)
**See his post here : http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54170

And by the way I bought many of these magnets, so I have tried adding couple of them or just one, the results are the same.

I think you should move the magnet and the sensor away from the metal rod, its disturbing the magnetic field.
If it ain't broken try to improve it.
r0bbie

Postby rockdude » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Maybe a stronger magnet would do the trick? I haven't tried this yet so I don't know, but I would guess that a stronger magnet is harder to interfere? The magnet you linked to has a strength of approx. 1,5 Kg.
rockdude

Postby kimouette » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:26 pm

I think you should move the magnet and the sensor away from the metal rod, its disturbing the magnetic field.

If that's the solution than I'm in trouble! The magnets are naturally attracted by the metal rod, so keeping them away from it enough means I have to think of a completely different design.
But still, I dont understand how it can work for 2 other guys (especially since I'm using the exact same magnets and sensor!)
Maybe a stronger magnet would do the trick? I haven't tried this yet so I don't know, but I would guess that a stronger magnet is harder to interfere? The magnet you linked to has a strength of approx. 1,5 Kg.
I guess I have to try that, even though 1.5Kg already seems like a lot to me!

:x
(another 20$ for something that might just end up in the garbage!)
kimouette

Postby rockdude » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:03 pm

I guess I have to try that, even though 1.5Kg already seems like a lot to me!

:x
(another 20$ for something that might just end up in the garbage!)

Well don't spend the money yet. Let someone more knowledgeable than me speak first :P I'm also planning to try this. I haven't bought any magnet yet though.
rockdude

Postby dm9876 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:55 pm

kimouette wrote:

If that's the solution than I'm in trouble! The magnets are naturally attracted by the metal rod, so keeping them away from it enough means I have to think of a completely different design.
But still, I dont understand how it can work for 2 other guys (especially since I'm using the exact same magnets and sensor!)

I would guess the same thing. if the magnet is stuck on the rod then the rod is just like an extension of the magnet. Can you send a picture of how you have it setup. Perhaps you could mount the hall sensor further away from the rod and more directly under the magnet? Hard to say without seeing your setup.
dm9876

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware