hall-effect sensor for variable hi hat control

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: hall-effect sensor for variable hi hat control

Postby dmitri » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:38 pm

alexmcintosh wrote:Dmitri;
as I described it, the trouble I'm having is:

".. It works with invert signal off; which of course means the signal is inverted (closed & open are reversed). But, when I select 'invert signal' it doesn't do anything (no output), although I can still get readings on the megadrum LCD that show the values changing when moving my pedal.
I should mention that 'invert signal' did work for a while (couple days ago), for about a day"

Post your settings and I will test it.

I'd also like to add one more detail.. I can't trigger the Bell on the hi-hat. I believe it's because the hi hat pedal notes override the Hi Hat notes; not sure, but this is what appears to happen. For myself I just want the Pedal to send out the CC values, and trigger from the Hi-Hat pad settings. Do the Hi-Hat pad settings get ignored when the pedal is enabled?

If your software takes care of producing sounds on HiHat based on CC values, set BowSO/EdgeSO/BellSO, BowHO/EdgeHO/BellHO, BowSCL/EdgeSCL/BellSCL and BowCL/EdgeCL/BellCL Notes equal to Bow/Edge/Bell Notes of the HiHat input.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby alexmcintosh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Dmitri;
thanks for your reply. Please see the attached picture for my settings; which is a composite picture of the Hi Hat settings, viewed in Megadrum Manager.

Since my last post I have upgraded the Firmware version, and have some better results. My suspicion is the Hi Hat Levels (Open, Semi Open, etc..) were different before the Firmware upgrade, but I'm only guessing.

I have been able to get the Bell to trigger when the Hi Hat is fully open, but not closed. I have a dual zone Hi Hat; one Edge Piezo, one Bell Piezo. So, I have set all my Bow to Edge values. As I was hoping to use Positional Sensing for the Hi Hat.

Any feedback/words of wisdom, are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.. Alex.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alexmcintosh

Postby dmitri » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:38 pm

1. I asked you to show your settings for your 'reverse signal' problem. In the settings you presented 'Reverse Levels' is disabled.
2. ChickThresh must always be greater then ShortChickThresh and ShortChickThresh must always be greater than LongChickThresh
3. I've never seen a dual zone cymbal with Bell and Edge - they always were Bow and Edge, even if physically your two piezos are located on the edge and near the bell of your cymbal.
4. Again, as I said, if you use CC messages, you must set Bow SemiOpen, Bow HalfOpen, Bow SemiClosed and Bow Closed Notes equal to Bow Notes. This is not the case in your settings.
5. 3rd Zone (Bell) in your settings is disabled so Bell notes in the Pedal settings don't matter.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby alexmcintosh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Dmitri;
1.) yes, that's funny I noticed that my levels were not reversed after you replied. But now I appear to have this same problem, right after a power cycle on the Megadrum; after working perfectly for about a month.
2.)-5.) I've made the changes you suggested and they worked great. Thanks.

Back to issue 1.) I've attached a picture of my settings (Firmware Version: 20130901, MCU STM32F103RCT6). I guess the problem somehow stopped being a problem, but right this minute it is.
Which causes my Hi-Hat pedal to work backwards (Up is currently LOWLEVEL, and Down is currently HIGH LEVEL, it was working fine for about a month, and then after a power cycle. I was previously adjusting the ride cymbal and Aux3 settings, but can't find anything unusual in them, and would think there isn't a relation between the settings. Anything that can have an effect on these settings?

Thanks for any help.. Alex
Megadrum Hi Hat Problem 16bt.TIF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
Found the problem
RESULT: The polarity of the magnets are specific:
Detail: I'm not sure which way the MAGNETS had to be oriented (ie. North OR South). My Hall Effect in conjunction with the Megadrum only worked with a certain polarity. With the current setup (that works) the Levels-Low ~= 214, Levels-High~=345. The opposite Polarity (that didn't work) had: Levels-Low~=350, Levels-High~500. This opposite Polarity would give the Low & High readings as expected with the Hi-Hat pedal. But, the Megadrum LCD Hi-Hat Pedal Position was backwards as was the readout in the Megadrum Manager (MDM). Strange result, with an easy fix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alexmcintosh

Postby Nepo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Hey guys,
I board a hall sensor SS495 from conrad (4.5 to 10.5 Vdc) a N35 magnet and connected as in the manual: + tip; - sleeve ; output-ring.
I take the settings like alexmcintosh for the first test , because I have no clue...
Ok the first test.....absolute no movement.(connected in the high impendant pedal)
1. I measured with a multimeter- tip/sleeve 0,65V....strange it must be more than 4V, what I read.
2. When I try to send the settings from MDM to MD it shows me Sytax error....

How can I go forward, any idear?

Tx in advance

Nepo
Nepo

Postby Nepo » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 am

Ok, I start a second test with the SS495 (Conrad) and I try different connections.
Following connection seems to work: +sleeve; - ring; output - tip (other connection versions dont work)
I use the MDM bar to see what happens.

Neutral position >the bar is in the middle !? (trembel between 56 and 57).

Depend on the polarisation of the magnet the bar goes either down to from 56 to 0 or from 56 to 127. (~15mm working way)

Bevore I try to adapt the pedal settings here my question:

Is this correct that I can use only the half size or is something wrong?

br

Nepo
Nepo

Postby dmitri » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 pm

You should adjust High/Low levels to get the full range.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Nepo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:41 am

Nepo wrote:Ok, I start a second test with the SS495 (Conrad) and I try different connections.
Following connection seems to work: +sleeve; - ring; output - tip (other connection versions dont work)
I use the MDM bar to see what happens.

Intermediate result > harware is finished.

The " alu-block" is clipped between the pedal-chain and rod. I had to fix this block with two angles in addition
to avoid rotary motion. (the hihat stand is not the best).

The hall sensor is fixed under the plastic box. The working space is ~20mm.
In lower position the space between magnet and box is ~1mm.

I'm still fighting with the settings ...I'm not at the end and I have to test furthermore.
But with my current settings the result is much, much better as with my old foot controller!

Thanks for all for this "easy :roll: " and cheap solution!

Last question:
The hall sensor I used is trembel +/-5.
I dont know the impact of this unstable amount when I go into finetuning.

Thanks in advance

Nepo
Nepo

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware