VH11 with Superior Drummer 2.4 Setup & fine tuning questions

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: VH11 with Superior Drummer 2.4 Setup & fine tuning quest

Postby Narbicus » Tue May 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Kabonfaiba wrote:My impedance switch is in the downwards position. In my case, Switch DOWN - ALT Input ON, gives me the larger resolution.
Switch UP - ALT Input OFF, can also be used... but it only gives me about 200 of range or so.

I don't have a switch, i just soldered one of the wires to the HH Ctrl input socket. Can't remember if it was the high or low wire so I'll try swapping them to see if i can get more range like yours.
Kabonfaiba wrote:2. Yes I am, (CC4 for hats, CC16 for snare) and I read too; in this case, that data is only to do with the new algorithm, which is defunct with the old algorithm running. No harm in keeping the placeholders mind if a new firmware improves it, I may try using the new algorithm once again. ;)

Ah, I see. I'm getting confused trying to determine which settings relate to the old algorithm.

1. When using the old, are 'ChickThresh' 'ShortClickThresh' and 'LongChickThresh' the only settings i need to tweak as they alter the chick note levels only?

2. SD2 is generating foot splashes and chicks based on the 'Closed pedal' articulation (Chicknote 21), so am i correct in assuming there is no need to set a splash note (23)?
Atmega1284 (20180521) with PS > Superior Drummer > Ableton Live > Yamaha UR22 > Win 10 64
Roland VH11 Hi-Hat, PD120 Snare, Yamaha PCY135 Crash, PCY155 Ride, Triggera Intrigg 10", 12" Toms & 22" Bass with Z-ed 2 ply
Narbicus

Postby Kabonfaiba » Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 pm

Narbicus wrote:1. When using the old, are 'ChickThresh' 'ShortClickThresh' and 'LongChickThresh' the only settings i need to tweak as they alter the chick note levels only?

Dmitri will know this better than I, but I think at least one of these parameters has to do with having "Soft Chicks" on - something I (again) understand in theory from the Megadrum manual, but don't use in practice, and can't get to work.

What I do know is 'ChickThresh' always has to be higher than 'ShortClickThresh', otherwise you might have a certain position on the pedal whereby it will self trigger like a machine gun.

Narbicus wrote:2. SD2 is generating foot splashes and chicks based on the 'Closed pedal' articulation (Chicknote 21), so am i correct in assuming there is no need to set a splash note (23)?

Yes, and that's how I'm enjoying it for the moment because SD2, left to it's own devices does ok with splashes, although it's not as clean sounding as if Megadrum sent a splash note manually... the added complexity is difficult to setup, I never got it to be 100% reliable all the time. Sometimes its best just to keep it simple, and you do have to add latency to the chicks to make splash notes work, which isn't my idea of high performance.
Kabonfaiba

Postby Narbicus » Wed May 25, 2016 4:43 pm

Hey, cheers for the replies.

I solved why i couldn't get a lower HH CTRL level. Basically because i had my clutch adjusted tighter. Its because of the spring mechanism inside, loosening raises the height of the cymbal allowing the sensor to be pushed down more. I've explained that badly, but anyway i can get a better range now :)

Been playing around with 'ChickThresh' 'ShortClickThresh' and 'LongChickThresh' and my settings ended up similar to yours. I loaded up some of my old settings from when i first got my megadrum and they are pretty similar also. 'ChickThresh' makes the most obvious difference, i find it hard to determine what 'ShortClickThresh' and 'LongChickThresh' are adjusting other than getting the machine gun effect if they over lap like you mentioned. I can play 16th's on the hats while closing and opening without getting chicks or splashes triggered with 'ChickThresh' set above 75-80.

I'm on your bus, simpler the better! I agree, it's not bad atall. Foot chicks are good, splashes are a bit quiet. Occasionally i get a hi hat hit when doing a tight chick, but not often. That might be solved by fine tuning the cymbal which i haven't done yet as i've just removed a 10k resistor i installed on the head input to cool it down (which was actually making things worse!).
Atmega1284 (20180521) with PS > Superior Drummer > Ableton Live > Yamaha UR22 > Win 10 64
Roland VH11 Hi-Hat, PD120 Snare, Yamaha PCY135 Crash, PCY155 Ride, Triggera Intrigg 10", 12" Toms & 22" Bass with Z-ed 2 ply
Narbicus

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware