(true)MIDI USB Board

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: (true)MIDI USB Board

Postby Synthex » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:23 pm

Marctwo wrote:I'm very interested in the device firmware for this.

So windows installs it's own midi interface driver (audio device) for this? Do you know which versions of windows will recognise and install this?

Do you know if Mac and Linux have native support for this also?

I presume this device is based on the 'Audio Class/USB Midi Device 1.0' as detailed here?

Windows installs it's own midi interface driver automatically.
Normally, all versions of Windows that support USB plug and play devices must operate.
Mac and the latest versions of Linux also must operate.

Of course, this device is 100% compatible with the USB standard. :)

Why are you so interested in the device firmware ? ;)
Synthex

Postby Marctwo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:32 am

Synthex wrote:Why are you so interested in the device firmware ? ;)
Because I was planning on using HID for my board. It hadn't even occured to me to make it a USB midi device.

I haven't actually started playing around with firmware yet but the USB protocols look like being a bit of a nightmare to work with. Any advice or informative links you could give me would be a great help I'm sure.
Marctwo

Postby sumpm1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:30 am

Hi Synthex. Your work on the MegaDrum32 is VERY impressive. I am most impressed by how you got everything onto one PCB. I was wondering if it would be possible to take the schematics for your ENTIRE PCB, rather than just the USB portion, and release it in Dip Trace format. The more I look around here, the more I think I would like to go with a "Toner Transfer Method" of creating my own pretty PCB!!! http://www.5bears.com/pcb.htm

Would the Copper PC board have to be one-sided or two-sided? Hopefully everything could be done on one side, for simplicity.

Thanks
sumpm1

Postby Synthex » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:03 am

sumpm1 wrote:Hi Synthex. Your work on the MegaDrum32 is VERY impressive. I am most impressed by how you got everything onto one PCB. I was wondering if it would be possible to take the schematics for your ENTIRE PCB, rather than just the USB portion, and release it in Dip Trace format. The more I look around here, the more I think I would like to go with a "Toner Transfer Method" of creating my own pretty PCB!!! http://www.5bears.com/pcb.htm

Would the Copper PC board have to be one-sided or two-sided? Hopefully everything could be done on one side, for simplicity.

Thanks

Thanks a lot ! :)

You can watch on the following topic :
http://www.megadrum.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29&start=13

I have not really realized PCB for this version but it is very easy to do so, on one side !

I think it is better to group up to the inputs.
The following example, do more and takes less space than my first version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synthex

Postby Synthex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Does this help you ?

I would like finish this PCB, but I have no license to use DipTrace ...
Synthex

Postby estregan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:57 am

Hi Synthex,

I'm happy to say that I just built your board and am now ready to put the firmware on it. Which program/software do I use and what are the settings? I'm asking so I wont make any stupid mistakes like I did with the AVR-CDC, hehe :lol:
estregan

Postby dmitri » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:20 am

I used WinPic.
You will need to:
1. choose "JDM (2) for serial port" in the "Interface" tab
2. select PIC18F2550 in the "Device Config" tab.
3. open the hex file with the MIDI firmware and then select "Device->Program (CODE+DATA+CONFIG)" in the menu.

If programming succeeds you'll see "Programming finished. no errors" at the bottom in the status bar.
dmitri
Site Admin

Postby Synthex » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:07 am

Nothing to add ;)
Synthex

Postby estregan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 pm

dmitri wrote:I used WinPic.
You will need to:
1. choose "JDM (2) for serial port" in the "Interface" tab
2. select PIC18F2550 in the "Device Config" tab.
3. open the hex file with the MIDI firmware and then select "Device->Program (CODE+DATA+CONFIG)" in the menu.

If programming succeeds you'll see "Programming finished. no errors" at the bottom in the status bar.

I've followed your instructions but I'm not successful. I get Programming failed messages. I'm attaching screenshots of WinPic as per your instructions. These are the only screens where I did some changes:

Also noticed that the IC got extremely hot when its connected to the computer. Could we have damaged the IC? What could we be doing wrong this time? Anything we might have missed? It seems we can't get anything right the first time eh!
estregan

Postby dmitri » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:32 pm

If it gets hot, or even warm, then the wiring is not right. Check wiring. If still not able to find a fault, take pictures of the board and the the cable separately and when connected together and post here.
dmitri
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to MegaDrum Hardware