Rockdudes Yamaha 3 zone replica for MegaDrum (build log)

Discussions related to MegaDrum Hardware

Re: Rockdudes Yamaha 3 zone replica for MegaDrum (build log)

Postby Maylord.war » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Yamaha of course :oops:
Maylord.war

Postby Russ15 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:29 am

Hey rockdude awesome work with the 3 zone build! Just a quick question. Would it be possible to mount the bell and edge switch on the underside of the cymbal (with the brass touching the cymbal underside)? Not sure if you tried this originally, but would the cymbal still be be able to trigger properly? Thanks for the contribution!
Russ15

Postby Maylord.war » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Russ15 wrote:Hey rockdude awesome work with the 3 zone build! Just a quick question. Would it be possible to mount the bell and edge switch on the underside of the cymbal (with the brass touching the cymbal underside)? Not sure if you tried this originally, but would the cymbal still be be able to trigger properly? Thanks for the contribution!

Hi Russ15

I will try to reply to you, all is based to send at the module the piezo signal and switch (from edge or bell). Make a switch underside the cymbal i think is possible but i don't know how works, the edge switch works well underside but the bell i don't know. I think is pretty easy for example make a cymbal with rockdude instruction and put pvc or rubber (painted with gold color) on the top of cymbal for cover it!

I have replied the same system with a simple circuit and one resistor, here the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Maylord666? ... KBjzzmIV3Q

Regards
Maylord.war

Postby Stephen Spurlock » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:45 am

I am not sure this is the best place to troubleshoot my problems but I did replicate this version of the Yamaha 3 zone cymbal.

I copied this design onto a plastic design. I did run a ground wire to the sleeve of the jack because the cymbal isn't conductive. I also followed the instructions that Dmitri gave on the MegaDrum website. (http://www.megadrum.info/content/settin ... one-cymbal).

If I understand correctly this should work. (I should let you know this is my first DIY project and don't fully understand all the settings in MDM...but my understanding of the 3zone comes mainly from someone who said: "If the edge is hit, the switch closes and the piezo picks up the vibration and produces the assigned sound for an edge hit. This would go the same for the bell. If neither of the switches are closed but the piezo is picking up vibration, then it will produce sounds based on the bow hit. The 10k resistor is used to separate the edge and bell switch. This is done by changing the voltage that it registers across the piezo. For the choke, when the edge is held, MegaDrum will then decipher the switch being closed and not momentary and choke out the sound.)

The problem is I am not getting any cymbal sounds. (I am using EzDrummer with the Jazz EzX) I hit the edge switch...nothing. I hit the bell switch...nothing. If I choke the edge switch...nothing. Also, the Midi Log as no indication of anything being played. If I hit the cymbal (activating the piezo) I don't hear anything, but I do see on the MIDI Log that my Head/Bow is activated at max level and is indicated as a open choke or closed choke. Also, the zero note is being played. I attached a Screen Shot of MDM when hitting the cymbal and therefore vibrating the piezo.

I am not sure what I am missing. I would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions.

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 5.33.23 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Spurlock

Postby airflamesred » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:14 pm

You have high level auto ticked, this is why the midi log is such. Set the correct levels first.

koby drums - Triggera krigg/Bix - megadrum - Kontakt........... Samples from all and sundry.
airflamesred

Postby Stephen Spurlock » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:32 pm

I followed the instructions that I found at this video: https://youtu.be/6crpT1jfeS0?t=4m14s for setting up MegaDrum. I tried that and I didn't ever get a response from the switches or piezo so I don't know what the High Level should be at. I tried using auto and playing has hard as I would normally play. Then I clicked "Get" and the numbers didn't change. I unchecked the auto box and clicked send.

Still no response from anything except the piezo is sending a choke on and off message.

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 8.28.26 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Spurlock

Postby ignotus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Set the dampened note in the 3rd zone to 53 as well. Are you sure the switches remain open when not hitting/pressing them? Test them with a multimeter for continuity. It looks as if one of them is closed all the time and when you hit the cymbal it sends out the dampened note (0). Also, the threshold values don't look right - how did you arrive at those values? And yes, first of all you have to get the highlevels right. Just scroll through the menu in the module and do it from there - 64 cannot be right, it should be much higher. Set auto highlevel to yes, whack the cymbal a few times and then set it to no. However, if one of the switches is always closed, you won't be able to do this properly.
If it ain't broken... fix it until it is.
ignotus

Postby Stephen Spurlock » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:56 pm

My multimeter just broke. I will pick up a new one tomorrow.

I had problems setting the threshold and high notes. Hopefully one of my switches is always closed and it can be an easy fix. Thanks for the replies and I will write back tomorrow after I get a multimeter. Thanks.
Stephen Spurlock

Postby stefan1982 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:17 am

Does it really matter if the resister in the scheme is 10k or more/less?
I have some resistors here, but do not know exactly the resistance of it, nor it's polarity..
stefan1982

Postby dmitri » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Resistor don't have polarity. The edge resistor should have a value close to 10k.
dmitri
Site Admin

Previous

Return to MegaDrum Hardware